It’s important to use our muscles regularly to maintain bone strength, muscle strength, coordination, and keep the heart healthy, as well as self-confidence and good emotional wellbeing. The following exercises are all designed for you to do in your own home and will help you stay fit and healthy.
Recommended equipment and space:
- A bottle of water
- A towel
- A clear space where you are not going to slip or fall on an object.
- A wall space
- Chair (with arms if needed)
- Stable surface to hold for balance exercises
- A broom or stick handle
To improve coordination, aerobic fitness for heart health and lower body strength:
- Stand in front of a staircase or step and step up with your right foot, then up with your left
- Then step back down with your right, then back down with your left. Repeat 10 times or for a period of 20-60 seconds
- Take a rest before changing the leading foot
- If you need a little support, hold on gently to the railing, or gently touch the wall with your finger tip
- If this is comfortable, to increase difficulty, hold some weight in each hand such as a bottle of water
- Perform this 2-5 times, take a break for 40-60 seconds before repeating again.
For more information visit: https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/article/7-exercises-for-the-over-70s-while-self-isolating